Seymour Couple Arrested For Stealing From Wal-Mart Stores

Jericho Shipman
Jericho Shipman
Melissa James
Melissa James

Ava police arrested a Seymour couple last week on stealing charges. Subsequently, officers recovered items taken from Wal-Mart stores in Ava, Mtn. Grove, Branson, Lebanon and Springfield.
Ava Police Chief Reggie Johnson said the Ava Police Department received a walk-in complaint on Aug. 20, around 10:15 a.m.
The Loss Prevention department at Wal-Mart had been advised that during the evening hours of Aug. 19, at around 10:20 p.m., they had a female subject steal approximately $700 worth of electronics from their store. The woman had left through the side fire exit door without paying for the items.
The Ava Police Department was contacted later in the day by the Mtn. Grove Police Department and advised they had a similar incident with the same people and had caught them with the property from their store and the property stolen from the Ava store.
Upon further investigation, the subjects identified as 33-year-old Melissa James, of Seymour, and 23-year-old Jericho Shipman, also of Seymour, were also involved in stealing from Wal-Mart stores in Branson, Lebanon and Springfield.
After interviewing the two subjects and receiving consent to search their residence located in Seymour, most of the stolen property was recovered.
The items not recovered were two game systems and several movies and games. The two subjects advised they had sold the games, movies and gaming systems in Springfield for cash.
Felony charges were issued in Douglas County and are pending from Lebanon Police Department, Branson Police Department, Mountain Grove Police Department and Springfield Police Department. The two are being held in the Douglas County Jail on bond of $15,000 each.
“Lieutenant (Trent) Murray did an outstanding job in recovering the stolen items and making the arrest of the two individuals,” Chief Johnson said. Without the cooperation of all the agencies involved, this case could have gone unsolved, Johnson added.
Chief Johnson expressed his thanks to all the citizens and law enforcement agencies involved in solving this case.