Dogwood Ramblings

I sure haven’t heard anyone complaining about the weather and that is unusual for August.  Randy, Kim and Ivan went floating this past weekend after mowing, etc.  Bob and Dana Wagner took a day off to do some traveling.  Rex took me out for lunch on Friday.  The school buses are again on the move.  The MFA Oil propane tank is now installed with quite a savings for me.

When we moved here in 1975 son Randy had two more years of school, and that year and the following were very hot and the schools didn’t have any air conditioning except occasionally opening a window.  The kids nowadays sure have it better.  Many of you can probably recall the stifling heat draining any desire to do anything, especially studying, and it was easier out bucking hay bales.

A month after we moved here, in early August 1975, we had quite the storm – rain, hail, you name it.  I looked out the window and saw my old mare standing at the fence right behind the house.  Willie refused to let me go out in the hail to take old Peppy Lou to a safer place.  Next morning I checked on her and there she stood, in the same place by the fence only now, she wasn’t alone.  She had a newborn filly she was standing over, protecting her from the weather, a little long-legged sorrel with a white streak of lightning on her head.  Naturally, I named the filly Storm.  Peppy Lou’s two daughters, Rapi and Chippie, both with young white fillies by their sides, had spent the storm in the woods.  They, and two mares of Rory, had all been hauled here from California, arriving on July 5th of that year.  To make sure they would all drink while on the road, we’d sent along a barrel of water they were familiar with from our place in California.  Peppy Lou was #278 in the Appaloosa Registry.  I gave Storm to son Randy in 1991.

Our horses hadn’t been near ticks since we’d hauled them from North Dakota to California and the ticks here thought they’d been brought a feast.  We tried a few things to get rid of the ticks but nothing worked until we slathered them with used motor oil – and that was the last they were bothered.  Peppy Lou was 33 years old when a stroke took her.  Rapi and Chippie both made it past their 30th birthdays.  I haven’t done any riding the past several years and doubt I could even get up on a horse anymore but I sure do miss the pleasure of a nice quiet ride.  Now I just have many nice memories of such like riding in the hills in California and in the hills and hollows here.

Most years my exercise came from working, not from a treadmill that runs on electricity.  We drank from a fountain or glass instead of using plastic bottles, and even now, some of us refill plastic bottles with water from the well, over and over again.  We refilled writing pens with ink.  At elementary school, our desks each had an ink well.  My hair was long enough to sit on and more than once one of my braids was tipped into an inkwell.  Doggone ornery brats!  We replaced razor blades instead of throwing away the whole razor because the blade got dull.  In the city we took a streetcar or bus and kids walked or biked to school instead of moms having to be a taxi service.  Yet, the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn’t have the “green thing” back then.  Being old can be difficult and it doesn’t take much to tick us off, especially when a tattooed, multiple pierced young’un can’t make change without the cash register indicating how much.

Angela Breedlove found the owners of that little gray house dog, right here at Dogwood.  They sure were happy to get their little girl back.  A surprise phone call came from Penny Price who used to live at Dogwood followed by a delightful card from Eva Wymer.  Eva hopes to make a quick stop here early next month.  Quick or not, that will be a treasure.

A little excitement here! Today (Monday morning) at 1:30 a.m. the doorbell rang and again about 2 minutes later.  After getting up and putting more clothing on, I made it to the door.  No bodies there.  No noticeable vehicles could be seen.  So, I double checked all the locks and back to bed and tried to get back to sleep – it took awhile.  This was not the first middle of the night doorbell incident.  Around 7 a.m. Bob Wagner called as he had walked over here to investigate the truck parked across the east entrance of my driveway, finding a person lying across the seat.  Bob called the Sheriff’s Office and then called me.  I kept an eye out and finally Sheriff DeGase came to check things out.  Randy Dugan brought some gas over for the truck and eventually everyone was gone.  Bob nicely chastised me for not calling him at 1:30 in the morning.  He is the best neighbor one could have!

Until next week, do remember all in prayer.  We are not to judge others as that is God’s business, so rather than judging, we must pray for our families, friends, country and our so-called government.