Patrol Provides Regulation Clarification For Farmers Hauling Heavier Loads of Hay, Silage and Grain

Colonel Ron Replogle, superintendent of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, would like to provide the following information to farmers who may be traveling long distances or out-of-state to obtain hay, silage and grain:

The current drought in Missouri has brought with it challenges for farmers in our state. Farmers must make decisions about how they are going to feed their livestock after the drought has caused a shortage in hay, silage and grain production. Missouri farmers are traveling long distances and, in some instances, out-of-state to obtain hay, silage and grain. The Missouri Department of Transportation has issued special waivers for farmers hauling hay, silage and grain that address size and weight. Despite those size and weight waivers, depending on the distanced traveled, farm vehicles may now have to comply with state and federal safety regulations that previously did not apply.

Farmers are encouraged to review the regulations that pertain to farm vehicles and the transportation of goods. These regulations include, but are not limited to:

• When crossing state lines a truck is considered a commercial motor vehicle if it has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 lbs. or more, therefore, it must comply with federal regulations. This applies to farm vehicles.

• Farm vehicles must display a USDOT number and the farm name.

• The driver of a farm vehicle must at least 21 years of age.

• Those driving a farm vehicle must have a commercial driver license if the truck’s GVWR exceeds 26,000 lbs., if the truck’s gross combined weight rating (GCWR) exceeds 26,000 lbs., and the truck is operated more than 150 miles from the farm.

• The farmer may need to have the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) if the truck weighs over 26,000 lbs., or if it is licensed for over 26,000 lbs., or if it has three axles on the power unit. Fuel permits may be purchased from the state you are entering in lieu of the IFTA.

• The driver must possess a current medical card (DOT physical) when operating a truck with a GVWR of 10,001 or more lbs.

• Permits must be obtained from MoDOT if you are traveling on an interstate and your vehicle or load is over the normal size and weight requirements.

• Drivers must carry a log book if they operate a truck more than 100 miles from the farm. If the vehicle stays intrastate, this does not apply to vehicles licensed for 42,000 lbs. or less.

This summer’s drought will most certainly bring the need to feed cattle hay, silage and grain much earlier this year, increasing the demand.

Therefore, it is important that farmers be aware of and follow the regulations set forth by the state. If you have any questions, please contact the Missouri State Highway Patrol’s Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division at 573-526-6128. For a complete list of federal motor vehicle regulations which apply to farm vehicles please visit: