- Featured Stories
- Douglas County
- City of Ava
- General Interest
Agriculture in Douglas County is supported by both large and small farm enterprises. In an effort to recognize successful farm families in the county, the Douglas County Extension Council recently honored two farm families with the presentation of Century Farms signs by Douglas County Program Director Angie Fletcher.
To qualify, farms must meet the following guidelines. The same family must have owned the farm for 100 consecutive years. The line of ownership from the original settler or buyer may be through children, grandchildren, siblings, and nephews or nieces, including through marriage or adoption. The farm must be at least 40 acres of the original land acquisition and make a financial contribution to the overall farm income.
The 110 acre Sellers family farm was purchased by Samuel H. and Julia Kay Sellers on Dec. 4, 1880 for the sum of $450. The purchase was recorded on Sept. 28, 1886.
The farm has been owned and divided among family members ever since.
The original log cabin and barn are gone, however, the Ernest Sellers home that was built in 1910 remains on the property.
During the late 1920s and early 1930s, the Sellers family built and operated a tomato canning factory with 21 people employed during peak season. Spring water filled the holding tank and wood heated the boiler. A conveyor belt was powered by an automobile engine.
After cooking, the cans were labeled and boxed for shipping by rail from Ava to the Safeway Grocery Company.
The Wheat farm located near Vanzant, was originally purchased by Josiah Wheat, grandfather of William (Pat) Wheat on April 3, 1912. The farm has operated as a dairy as well as a beef operation.