- Featured Stories
- Douglas County
- City of Ava
- General Interest
The new southbound U.S. 65 bridge over U.S. 60, southbound-to-eastbound ramp and new westbound-to-southbound ramp in south Springfield are all scheduled to open by Saturday morning, June 30.
As the construction project continues, motorists should still watch for slow-moving dump trucks entering and leaving eastbound U.S. 60 east of Glenstone Avenue.
With the opening of these phases of the project, this massive multi-million dollar road renovation moves one step closer to completion.
• Paving shoulders, installing guardrail and road signs along southbound U.S. 65 at U.S. 60 and along southbound U.S. 65-to-eastbound U.S. 60 and westbound U.S. 60-to-southbound U.S. 65 ramps
• Hauling rock and dirt to west end of new eastbound U.S. 60 bridge over railroad tracks east of Glenstone Avenue and tying reinforcing steel into place for deck on bridge
• Pouring concrete for bridge walls on new westbound U.S. 60 bridge over Lake Springfield
• Grading work for new ditches in various locations.
New southbound U.S. 65 lanes at U.S. 60 and two ramps to reopen by 7 a.m. Saturday, June 30.
New southbound U.S. 65 bridge over U.S. 60, southbound-to-eastbound ramp and westbound-to-southbound ramp ALL scheduled to open to traffic Friday night into Saturday morning.
At 10 p.m. Friday, June 29, southbound U.S. 65 CLOSED to allow crews to restripe pavement and make other necessary traffic adjustments. DETOUR: Westbound on U.S. 60 to Glenstone Avenue exit travel through interchange to eastbound U.S. 60 to southbound U.S. 65.
By 7 a.m. Saturday, June 30, southbound U.S. 65 traffic at U.S. 60 will be shifted back to original southbound lanes, the southbound-to-eastbound ramp and the westbound-to-southbound ramp will be reopened.
• Slow moving traffic on eastbound U.S. 60 east of Glenstone Avenue as dump trucks enter and leave work area at railroad bridges. Speed limit on eastbound U.S. 60 45 mph.
• TRAFFIC SHIFTS:
Eastbound U.S. 60 traffic shifted to one lane of westbound U.S. 60 at the railroad bridge west of U.S. 65. Eastbound speed limit reduced to 45 mph.
Westbound U.S. 60 traffic shifted to one lane of eastbound U.S. 60 at bridge over Lake Springfield east of U.S. 65. Westbound speed limit reduced to 45 mph.
Southbound U.S. 65 traffic shifted to old northbound lanes just north of U.S. 60. Speed limit on southbound U.S. 65 reduced to 50 mph.
• RAMP CLOSED: Westbound U.S. 60-to-southbound U.S. 65 ramp CLOSED until June 30 Ramp Detour: Westbound on U.S. 60 exit at Glenstone interchange, travel through interchange, to eastbound U.S. 60 to southbound U.S. 65
• Large equipment entering and leaving work areas.
• Work zone speed limit in other areas: 60 mph.
• Work zone posted with an additional $250 fine for speeding when workers are present. (Weather or construction delays could alter the work schedule.)
Trail users are urged not to go beyond the trail closed signs and the fencing. There are deep excavations, overhead construction and large equipment moving back and forth over or near the closed trail segments. All this activity makes the trail in these areas unsafe to use which is why these trail segments have been closed.
• Trail open: - Section of Galloway Creek Greenway trail remains open between the old iron bridge east of U.S. 65 and the Missouri Conservation Nature Center trail west of U.S. 65 and south of U.S. 60.
• Trail closings: - Section of Galloway Creek Greenway trail CLOSED at U.S. 60 west of U.S. 65 near the railroad tracks. - James River Greenway trail between Galloway Creek Greenway trail near the iron bridge south of U.S. 60 and Brunswick Avenue north of U.S. 60.
• These trail segments are closed indefinitely for bridge work on U.S. 60 east of U.S. 65 and for bridges being built over the railroad tracks on U.S. 60 west of U.S. 65.
• Build new “flyover” ramps for eastbound U.S. 60-to-northbound U.S. 65 and northbound U.S. 65-to-westbound U.S. 60 – completed
• Replace northbound U.S. 65 bridge over U.S. 60 – completed
• Widen and rehabilitate eastbound U.S. 60 bridge over Lake Springfield – completed
• Build new bridges on U.S. 60 over railroad tracks — westbound U.S. 60 bridge completed
• Replace westbound U.S. 60 bridge over Lake Springfield.
• Rehabilitate the southbound U.S. 65 bridge over U.S. 60.
• Install new highway lighting and storm drains.
With the work marked “completed” in the Project Summary above, the construction moves closer to the October 2012 target for total completion.