- Featured Stories
- Douglas County
- City of Ava
- General Interest
The City of Ava Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire on NW 11th Street in Ava last Friday morning.
When firemen arrived, they found the house full of smoke, but the fire had been mostly extinguished by an adult resident, Shanda Williams. Some remaining fire was found in smoldering debris and in the floor, and was quickly extinguished by the fire department.
Structural damage was limited to the floor, a wall and a door.
Cox Ambulance paramedics treated Ms. Williams for smoke inhalation at the scene, but she did not require hospitalization.
Williams said she and Brandon Turner share the residence.
It is believed the fire was started by a 4-year-old son of Williams who had gained access to a cigarette lighter. The incident is still under investigation by the Missouri Fire Marshal’s Office.