- Featured Stories
- Douglas County
- City of Ava
- General Interest
Our menu for this week is Monday, December 19—Pork chop, baked potato, peas, roll, cobbler. Tuesday, December 20—Hot ham and cheese sandwich, broccoli soup, salad bar, pudding. Wednesday, December 21—Open-faced turkey sandwich, mashed potatoes, dressing, corn, fruit. Thursday, December 22—Beef stew, cheese biscuit, beets, salad bar. Friday, December 23—CLOSED—Merry Christmas to everyone! If you don’t like our menu for the day, you may call by 10:00 for a substitute meat. Not everyone is a liver and onions fan.
Our activities for this month include, but are not limited to: Monday, OATS bus to Springfield, FFA students will do music, OATS bus to Ava on Wednesday, and driver’s exam on Thursday in the basement.
Seniors, do you Google on a daily basis. If so, we would ask that you begin using GoodSearch.com instead. By choosing this, you can help raise money for the Southwest Missouri Office on Aging. Simply go to GoodSearch.com, enter Southwest Missouri Office on Aging in the “Who do you GoodSearch for” and click verify, then search away. Every time you use it, one cent is donated back to SWMOA. Pennies a day can add up to big contributions. And we appreciate it.
The University of Missouri Extension offers these tips for holiday meals: Don’t arrive hungry. Eat a snack a couple of hours prior to the meal. Use a smaller plate. Take small bites and chew each mouthful 20 times. It usually takes 20 minutes for your brain to get the message you are full. Wait 15 minutes before getting seconds. Don’t deprive yourself. Savor the dessert, taking time with each bite. Choose healthy foods at least 80 percent of the time. Then enjoy your holiday favorites without guilt the other 20 percent.
We appreciate Carla Mercer from Hospice Compassus for sharing seasonal eating tips, and to Ozark Independent Living of West Plains for the absolutely beautiful poinsettia.
Because of the holiday closing on Monday, December 26, the Pitch Tournament will be held on Tuesday, December 27, beginning at noon. If you want to play show up or call (683-5712) and say you are coming.
Until next week, have a good one.