- Featured Stories
- Douglas County
- City of Ava
- General Interest
An early morning house fire last Thursday morning claimed the life of an Ava man.
Elwood Williams, 68, was found in the living room of his Ava home, located in the 100 block of SW 4th Ave., by personnel with the City of Ava Volunteer Fire Department.
The fire department was dispatched at 12:43 a.m. Thursday and just 7 minutes later the first fire unit arrived on scene to find the small frame house totally involved in fire.
The fire had already vented itself and flames were shooting several feet into the air from the front area of the residence.
The fire was quickly knocked down so firemen could enter the residence and search for the occupant who was believed to be home. He was found in the living room floor, not far from the front door.
Douglas County Coroner Rick Miller pronounced the victim dead at the scene and requested an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.
Funeral services for Elwood Williams were held at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Clinkingbeard Funeral Home, Ava.
John Matney, fire investigator with the State Fire Marshal’s Office, determined that the fire was caused by a faulty gas heater.
Although the walls and roof of the structure were still intact, the residence was pretty well gutted and is considered to be a total loss.
The property is owned by Warren Gunter, of Ava, who said Williams was a model renter, often paying his rent well in advance of the due date.
Firefighters from Ava Rural Fire Department responded in mutual aid to assist the Ava department.