- Featured Stories
- Douglas County
- City of Ava
- General Interest
A lot of work was spent this week in Committee. In my Elections Committee we voted out two bills. The first would require a photographic I.D. in order to vote. The second would allow a few days of early voting.
Agricultural Policy Committee voted out of Committee by a unanimous vote House Committee Substitute for HB131. This bill makes many changes to Prop. B:
1) Removes the fifty dog limit,
2) Raises the cap on the license fee to $2500,
3) Adds a $25 annual fee for Bark Alert,
4) Requires 2 personal visual inspections annually by a licensed veterinarian,
5) Leaves space requirements to be set by the Dept. of Agriculture,
6) Class A misdemeanor for anyone who uses stack-cages without impervious barriers between levels,
7) Changes the name of the act from “Puppy Mill Act” to “Dog Cruelty Prevention Act”,
8) Leaves it up to the veterinarian to decide the number of litters each year.
Nuclear Power Plant:
In Utilities Committee, we heard testimonies on the application for a second Nuclear Power Plant in Callaway County.
I think it is important we plan for our future electric needs, so we will not need to purchase electricity from other states.
I also feel we need some Consumer protection in this bill including a Hard Cap on total dollars for this permit.
Survey: Deadline is March 15.
I am proud to say that we have the ability to get a survey out that is fast and easy for you and me. It is internet based instead of the paper surveys that have been used in the past. This is also very effective and beneficial to me because I have an opportunity to know sooner how you feel about a topic. With faster information sharing, I can be more properly informed on how you stand on many issues. Please take a few minutes, click on the link below, and fill out this survey: