- Featured Stories
- Douglas County
- City of Ava
- General Interest
To the citizens of Douglas County:
Have you been blaming the Democrats or the Republicans about the sorry state of government affairs? Perhaps you have been looking in the wrong place for blame.
Here are some interesting statistics found at www.SOS missouri.gov. I found some contradictory information there, as you will also, however, there is no significant difference in the outcome.
Population of Missouri (2009 US census bureau) 5,987,580 people.
Number of children under 18 years of age, 30.6% that is approximately 31% for a total of 1,856,150 (rounded up) non eligible voters.
Subtract the number of people under 18 from the total population and you get 4,138,430 people. This is the number of potential voters in the state of Missouri.
Of the above-mentioned potential voters 4,205,774 are registered to vote (secretary of state website dates October 17-23, 2008).
Number of voters who voted in the 2010 primary election could not be obtained from SOS website (not a statistic they monitor) but a call to the 1-800-669-8683 election division of that office confirmed that I should go with the highest number of votes cast on a statewide issue, that is 938,782 cast pro and con on Prop. C. That is 22% of the registered voters. If voting turnout is low, a small minority of eligible voters can determine the outcome of elections that affect the lives of us all (actually, if 22% of voters actually vote, then as few as 11.1% can control the outcome).
This signifies that 22% of the people of this state dictate what the other 78% will and will not do. That is just the stats for the state of Missouri. I’m sure similar results will occur nation wide. Twenty-two percent does not a majority make.
Want affordable healthcare, reasonable taxation, less government, regulation of food and drugs you and your family take, limits on fees and interest rates, regulation of insurance companies, etc.? Perhaps you should consider voting. You would at least have a say in the things you need in your life and you might get significant change.
Change is a naturally occurring event; the most you can hope for is to steer it in the right direction.