- Featured Stories
- Douglas County
- City of Ava
- General Interest
Ava Rural Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at the Casey McCoy residence west of Ava on County Road 546 last Thursday.
A friend of McCoy said an electrical outlet behind a couch sparked and started the fire. She told firemen she was unsuccessful in an attempt to put the fire out before calling the fire department.
Ava Rural Fire Chief Delbert Murray said firemen almost had the blaze extinguished, but ran out of water, and the mobile home was a total loss.
Goodhope Fire Department also responded in mutual aid with Ava Rural.
Four fire departments responded to a fire that destroyed the Buzz Woods home near the Skyline School east of Ava Friday.
A lack of available water and near 100-degree temperatures again hampered the efforts of firemen from Skyline, Norwood, Mtn. Grove and Ava Rural fire departments in extinguishing the fire that destroyed the frame structure home on East Highway 76.
Doug Hutchison, of Skyline Fire Department, said Woods arrived home about 4:30 and detected smoke in the house. The fire was found in the basement of the home, and was believed to have started in a closet.
Hutchison said the origin of the fire was in a back corner of the basement and was extremely difficult to reach. He said firemen knew where the fire was but couldn’t get to it.
Then he said things “went from bad to worse” when just as the fire was almost out, they ran out of water.
Fire crews were on the scene until after 11 p.m., Hutchison said.
Ambulances stood by and provided cooling relief for the firemen who were almost overcome by the extreme heat.
Hutchison said the Woods home was located about one-fourth mile west of the Skyline School.
The City of Ava Fire Department responded to a vehicle fire at Leland Barnes Co. on North Jefferson Street Friday afternoon.
A Jeep caught fire at that location, but the fire apparently extinguished itself when a heater hose burned in two.